Master Yang Cheng Fu


Grandmaster
Yang, Cheng-fu
(1883-1936)


   
Yang Cheng-fu, was the grandson of the founder of Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan. He was a man of large stature, good- natured and popular. His style was described as 'open and soft... a bullet within cotton'.
   In the preface to his 1934 book  'Complete Principals and Applications of Tai Chi Chuan', Yang Cheng Fu tells of his understanding of Tai Chi through the words of his grandfather and founder of Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan- Yang Lu-chan.

   'In my youth I used to see my late grandfather, Yang Lu-chan, lead my uncles and other students in daily practice of Tai Chi Chuan. They trained day and night without rest... I was skeptical, believing self-defense against one man was not worth studying, and that in the future I would study defense against ten thousand.'
   'After i was a bit older... i could not longer conceal my doubts. My father Yang Jian-hou, became angry. My grandfather, Lu-chan, calmed him and gave me a gentle pat saying "Let me explain. The reason I practice and teach this art is not to challenge others but for self-defense, not to bully the world but to save the nation. The gentlemen of today know only of the poverty of the nation, but not of its weakness. Therefore our leaders anxiously formulate policies to alleviate poverty, but I have never heard of plans to rouse the weak or raise up the ailing. With a nation of sick people who is up to the task? If we examine the rise of nations, we find they all begin by strengthening the people... Thus the best method of saving the nation is to make saving the weak our highest priority."(1)
   In his later years, it was this soft, open, large-frame Tai Chi that he formalized as the Yang Family Long form. This form was later standardized to 88 postures by China's Martial Arts Division of the National Physical Education Committee in 1957. Through the publication of Yang Cheng-fu's works covering form, application, and philosphy, he was the first of his family to widely promote Tai Chi both nationally and internationally. Today, Yang Family Tai Chi remains the most popular and recognizable form of Tai Chi worldwide.
1. Wile, Douglas, 1983 Tai Chi Touchstones: Yang Family Secret Transmissions


Spokane Kung Fu recommends Yang Family Tai Chi for beginners as well as advanced students. Yang Family 24 form can be viewed on the RESOURCES page. For more information contact: spokanekf@gmail.com